Who is eligible?
All applicants (Singapore, SPR or International) pursuing their undergraduate degree* are eligible for the loan regardless of family income.
- Students taking Biomedical Sciences & Traditional Chinese Medicine programmes will only be covered under the scheme for the first 3 years of the programme.
- International students paying non-subsidised tuition fees are not eligible to apply for financial aid schemes.
The Tuition Fee Loan covers up to 90% of subsidised tuition fee payable by Singaporeans for a similar programme. It does not cover compulsory miscellaneous fees and hostel fee.
Note: For SPR and international students who take up both the Tuition Fee Loan and Study Loan, you will only receive a total loan amount equivalent to the subsidised tuition fees payable by Singaporeans for a similar programme of study. As the subsidised tuition fees for SPR and international students are higher than the fees for Singaporean students, the loans will not cover your tuition fees in full.
Administration of Loan
The University has appointed Development Bank of Singapore (DBS Bank) and Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC Bank) as agents to administer the Tuition Fee Loan Scheme.
- One guarantor aged between 21 to 60, and not a bankrupt is required.
- There is no income qualification.
- A loan applicant who is a:
- Singaporean student to provide a Singaporean guarantor.
- SPR students to provide a Singaporean / SPR guarantor.
- International students to provide a guarantor of any nationality.
An interest rate at the average of the prime rates of the following banks, DBS, OCBC and UOB, prevailing on the first day of each quarter or such other rates as may be determined from time to time by the bank will be charged upon graduation. Interest will be accrued on a monthly basis.
(Examples of interest commencement date:- If your final examination result slip releases in June, interest will commence on 1st August of the same year. If your final examination result slip releases in December, interest will commence on 1st February of the following year).
- Repayment of loan can be in one lump sum or by equal monthly instalments commencing not later than two years from the date that interest is first chargeable on the loan or upon securing employment whichever is earlier.
- The minimum amount of repayment is S$100 per month and the maximum repayment period is 20 years.
- In the event that the student leaves the University without completing the programme of study, the loan outstanding will immediately become due and payable. He may, however, repay the outstanding sum by monthly instalments on such terms and conditions as the University may allow depending on the circumstances of each case.
Late Payment Charge
Penalty interest will be levied at the rate of 1% per month on instalments in arrears.
For students who are using both CPF savings and Tuition Fee Loan to settle their tuition fee, payments will be processed in the following sequence:
- Disbursement from CPF Board under the CPF Education Scheme
- Disbursement from bank under Tuition Fee Loan
- GIRO deduction from students' own funds/others
- The total disbursements from CPF funds and Tuition Fee Loan shall not exceed the amount of tuition fee payable by students.
How to apply
- Students who wish to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan are required to complete the TFL Form and visit the bank together with your guarantor during the application period. (If you are applying outside the application period, the Office of Finance will need to endorse your TFL Application Form before you visit the bank. For form endorsement at Office of Finance, your guarantor need not be present).
- You need only apply once for this loan to cover you for the duration of your programme at NTU.
- Click here for the application flow.
AY2012-13: 1 May 2012 to 15 August 2012
For applications outside the application period, your completed application form must be brought to the Office of Finance (located at Level 3, Student Services Centre) for endorsement first before submission to the bank. For form endorsement at Finance Office, your guarantor need not be present.
- NTU Office of Admissions and Financial Aid: 6790 4115
- Development Bank of Singapore (DBS Bank): 6333 0033
- Overseas-Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC Bank): 1800-4383-333 (within Singapore) / +65-4383-333 (outside Singapore)