The Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship to Encourage Upgrading (LKY-STEP) Award was established from donations received from Mr Lee Kuan Yew through the sale proceeds of autographed editions of Volume 2 of his Memoirs. The objective of the award is to encourage lifelong learning and will be offered to outstanding polytechnic graduates pursuing full-time undergraduate degree programmes at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore Management University (SMU), Singapore University of Technology & Design(SUTD), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) or Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
- Open to Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents.
- Successful awardees should read a full-time undergraduate degree programme leading to a first degree* at NTU, NUS, SMU, SUTD, SIT or SUSS.
- Possess outstanding Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore (preferably Diploma with Merit) or SIT (Poly-FSI) qualifications.
- Excellent co-curricular records.
- Strong leadership qualities and potential.
*With the exception of Biomedical Sciences & Chinese Medicine programme for which the award will only cover the first three years of study at NTU.
LKY-STEP Award covers up to the normal programme duration on the condition that the holder maintain a record of good academic performance and exemplary conduct.
- One-off cash award of S$3,500.
- Subsidised Tuition fees will be waived by the universities if LKY-STEP Award holders are unsuccessful in securing a concurrent scholarship.
- No bond attached, apart from the three-year bond applicable to all Singapore PRs under the MOE Tuition Grant Scheme.
- Award holders must commence their study in any full-time undergraduate programme at NTU, NUS, SMU, SUTD, SIT or SUSS in the same academic year of application.
- Holders of the award are allowed to hold concurrent scholarships offered by NTU, NUS, SMU, SUTD, SIT, SUSS or other organizations.
- Award holder is required to maintain satisfactory academic performance. The academic performance is reviewed every semester.
- The Award may be withdrawn at any time if, in the opinion of the University, the award holder's progress or behaviour has not been satisfactory.
- If the award holder decides to terminate the scholarship prematurely, a repayment will be imposed.
Application opens on 2 May 2018 and closes on 23 May 2018.
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is the Secretariat for LKY-STEP Award in AY2018/2019.
- Details on the scholarship application will be released at a later date.
- Scholarship selection interviews will take place in June/July.
- Only applicants shortlisted for an interview will be informed via e-mail in June. Applicants that are not shortlisted will not receive any e-mail communication.