Who is eligible?
The Commonwealth Scholarship ("Scholarship") is awarded to outstanding international students from Commonwealth countries seeking admissions as full-time candidate pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research at the University. This Scholarship is for new, incoming students who are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents. A number of students are selected each semester by the University for the award.
The Scholarship is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- nationals from any Commonwealth countries except for Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents;
- have graduated with an undergraduate degree with at least Second Class Honours (Upper Division)/Honours (Distinction) or equivalent;
- at the time of award of the Scholarship, must have been offered admission to a full-time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research; and
- should not be on paid employment or accept paid employment or concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary or top-up allowance during the prescribed period of the award
• The monthly stipend for International PhD students will be S$2,000 and scholars in the PhD programme may be eligible for an additional stipend of up to $500 per month upon passing the PhD Qualifying Examination (QE), subject to good performance in research and the attainment of required standards for courses taken.
• In addition to the monthly stipend, the award also covers the annual tuition fee.
The University reserves the right to vary the amount of the stipend at any time by written notice.
The Scholarship is tenable for one (1) year in the first instance and thereafter may, subject to the Scholar's satisfactory progress, be renewed each semester at the University's discretion. The maximum period of the Scholarship is 4 years for PhD candidates.
There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
Incoming graduate students should indicate their interest in their application for admission to the PhD programme. You can apply for this scholarship when you are filling in your application form. Complete the "Application for Scholarship" section in your application form. The first intake will commence from August 2018 onwards.
Notification of Award
Successful applicants will be informed of the outcome of their applications sometime in May (for admission in July/August) or October (for admission in January).
Terms and Conditions
Successful applicants are required to observe the terms and conditions for the award of the Scholarship. International Students must perform teaching/ laboratory supervision duties to fulfil the requirements of the Graduate Assistantship Programme (GAP).